3 Steps to Become a Respected Philosopher
Updated: Jul 16
A philosopher is first and foremost a content creator and a practitioner of philosophizing. Thus, the first element in being a philosopher is to create content of your own, which is the product of your own thinking and observation. A philosopher without anything to say is like humanity without air: without it, a philosopher is non-existent.
You do not need, necessarily, to mention previous/existing philosophers consistently. All you need is to be philosophical yourself. By "Philosophical" I refer to occupy yourself existential and deep issues, whose thought and study can reveal insights. As a content creator, that is the overall reason for your readers to read you -- for the possibility that you'll give them refreshing food for thought. "Food" such as a new perspective on a certain subject.
"Food" such as a solution that can help others in their own lives. Philosophy doesn't have to be irrelevant when it can help people with their problems. Realistic, or intellectual, it doesn't have to matter. As long as new philosophical work is still at demand, than philosophy can be not only relevant but promising for the coming future.
You can also use philosophy to help people believe in themselves and stay away from suicidal thoughts. Prove to people why they should live, and perhaps you can make them more willing to live. That is, perhaps, philosophy's most relevant function, especially nowadays.
* Philosophy can provide people with a framework for understanding the world and their place in it. This can be helpful for people who are struggling with suicidal thoughts, as it can help them to see that their problems are not insurmountable and that there is still hope for the future.
* Philosophy can also help people to develop a sense of purpose and meaning in their lives. This can be a powerful motivator for people who are considering suicide, as it can give them something to live for.
* Finally, philosophy can help people to develop coping mechanisms for dealing with difficult emotions. This can be essential for people who are struggling with suicidal thoughts, as it can help them to manage their emotions in a healthy way.
Philosophy can be a business like any other. In business, there is competition to attract readers, viewers, and consumers. Although you would not necessarily find a job as a philosopher, you can certainly try to make it a business of your own, and even have more people under your employ, who would write philosophy as well. The fact that there are not many job listings for philosophers does not mean that philosophy cannot be considered a niche within content creation.
Regarding philosophy as an actual job:
* Philosophy is a broad field that encompasses a wide range of topics, from ethics and morality to metaphysics and epistemology. This means that there is a potential audience for philosophical content of all kinds.
* The internet has made it easier than ever for people to share their ideas and connect with others who share their interests. This has created a new platform for philosophers to reach a wider audience.
* With the right marketing and promotion, it is possible to build a successful business around philosophical content.
The second step is to improve and preserve your logical reasoning so that your content will make sense. Logic is an essential tool for the discovery of truth. It is the very foundation of what you are trying to convey, and if even your critics will not be able to understand at least how you reached the conclusions you have reached, you will not be respected as a philosopher and your work will be treated more poorly.
You can regard logic as the fuel for the tool that is your mind/brain. Take care of your mind, and your work can be improved as well. Improving your reasoning will improve your thinking overall. Doing this can make you a better philosopher, attract new readers/consumers, and even extend the duration of readers in general, staying and enjoying your work.
Calming yourself can also improve your reasoning, because emotion can easily blind us, or at least bias our perception. And if the topic of bias is at hand, it's important to reduce it as much as possible, when philosophizing. Presenting a full and clear image of the subject can help you be a more respected philosopher. A philosopher who thinks more rationally than the average man or woman.
The final step is exposure. It is an endeavor that requires not only success but also the courage to face adversity and even mockery. For example, if you are Jewish, you might be faced with anti-Semitism, as I was on Facebook. You might even be told to keep things to yourself, even though you have the legitimacy to do otherwise.
Regardless of potential hatred and trolling, optimal exposure is indeed the key to receiving both respect and recognition from those willing to learn from your teachings, and eventually remembering you by name.
If you give in to the fear of being mocked, you will also limit the potential of your exposure. For example, if you run an advertising campaign on Facebook, the more money you invest in it, the more likely it is that some people will laugh at your attempts.
However, increasing your readership is an obvious benefit. Why "throw the baby out with the bathwater"? The modernity of the internet allows you to build websites to be used as platforms to attract an audience across the globe and make them recognize you as an authority in any niche you choose, including philosophy.
That is what I did with this very website, and I was able to attract readers from most of the world's nations. You can do it too with enough time and effort, and even try to earn some revenue along the way using advertisements, making your content both desired and profitable. There are also other ways to monetize, as a philosopher, which you can find here.
With the help of modernity, literally anyone with the skill to philosophize, form their own opinions, and use logical reasoning can become a philosopher through at least one form of communication. No longer is it the privilege of civilization's elites of finance and academic education. Cherish it and become the optimal version of yourself.